Even though several theorists and researchers shed light on various aspects of human motivation back in the 1950’s and 60’s, the long-standing belief still prevails that financial motivation is the primary driver of people at work. To make it clear: if a company is not willing to pay fair compensation in line with market rates, it will not be able to attract and retain talent, unless they work in a geographical area where people have no other options.
It is very enlightening to see that more and more companies invest time and money in teaching their managers coaching skills. The days of command and control management are fortunately over. If companies want to survive and prosper, they need to engage the heart and the soul of their employees, not just lease their hands, and the closest person to have a strong impact on those areas is their line manager.
In my experience, 80% of effective time management depends on strategic clarity and rigorous implementation, while only the remaining 20% can be improved by tools and techniques that make you more efficient. The clearer you are about what really matters to you both long term and for the upcoming 6-12 months, the easier it is to stick to them when you make your daily decisions on what you let into your calendar.
Last year I read an interview with Feri Pal, an extraordinary clergyman, who is also a mental health specialist and a former athlete. A couple of his thoughts grabbed my attention. He came up with the following answer for one of the questions:
Over the last couple of decades, the training industry, hand in hand with corporate HR has developed the following myth: if managers go offsite for a training session once or a couple of times a year, they listen to some smart stuff or play a few games yielding “aha” experiences, gain insights about themselves and others, they go back to work, take a U-turn and change from autocratic assholes to ideal people managers.
Last week, I attended an CHRO meeting where the debate was about employee engagement. Many companies talked about implementing health programs, flexplaces, table soccer, LTIs, dogs at workplace and many creative ideas. But still, almost all of them complained of high attrition rate, especially in the first year of the employment.